CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Saturday Seething (part 26 of a 444 part series)

Thing that Must Go: people saying "I appreciate it" as they walk out the door of stores.
It really bugs me when instead of a simple, appropriate "thank you", people utter an insincere "I appreciate it." I have to hold in my sarcastic "Do you? Do you really appreciate it?!" every time I hear it, even when it's not directed at me.
I had this same issue when I was working drive-through at Eat a Burger.
Not that using this phrase is bad, it's just getting over used and therefore loosing sincerity. To appreciate means to recognize the quality and full worth of something or someone.
I guess the root of my seething today is the lack of sincerity of people today. Mean what toy say and recognize the meaning of words you use. I am reminded of the words of Dr. Seuss in Horton Hatches the Egg: I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant is faithful, one hundred precent.

Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

alli said...

Auto-correct is a double edged sword. Please excuse the error when it says "toy" as it was meant to be "you."

alli said...

Auto-correct is a double edged sword. Please excuse the error when it says "toy" as it was meant to be "you."

Anonymous said...

Now I'm wondering if I use that phrase often--now I'm going to be paying more attention to how I thank people.