CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday Seething (part 38 of a 444 part series)

Smells and Memories

 

It is amazing to me how powerful scents can be in recalling memories.

When I smell VS Love Spell, I am transported back to my freshman year apartment.

When I smell Lubriderm lotion, I instantly turn into a little girl saying good night to my mother.

When I smell Maple and Brown Sugar instant Quaker Oatmeal, I am back in my graduate school apartments. (I ate oatmeal EVERY morning for 2 years and the smell would permeate the entire apartment. Lesley says I ate so much of it that my natural smell started to be maple syrup.)

When I smell mayo and liquid smoke, I am making fry sauce at Eat-a-Burger.

 

Scents and smells are also powerful elements in sentimentality and traditions.

The smell of roasting turkey = Thanksgiving

Cinnamon scented pinecones = Christmas

Camp Fires = Summer

 

It is almost as if scents become symbols that we interact with that signal the event taking place. Much like the Christmas Tree and twinkling lights, it just would not feel like Christmas without the smells of delicious food and baked goods being prepared in the kitchen. It is wonderful that smells and memories can be so varied and individual for each person.

 

I am finding this correlation between smells and memory recollection to be quite fascinating!!

 

What smells trigger memories in you?

 

 

 

1 comments:

Lesley said...

VS secret crush reminds me of Andrea and Haley being single and all four of us sharring a bathroom! Great time!