CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Luke 22:43

“And there appeared an angel unto Him from Heaven, strengthening Him.”

 

This passage of scripture has been on my mind lately.  My recent scripture study has me focused on the Atonement and Gethsemane which normally I glance over b/c it makes me too sad and used to give me nightmares as a kid (that is why I only saw “The Testament” once when it was at the Legacy Theater at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building).  I prefer to focus on the resurrection and the wonderful things that happened after our Savior’s suffering but for some reason, I am becoming more and more fascinated by what took place in Gethsemane.

This scripture has been illustrated by several artists throughout history but I have only chosen a few to illustrate my idea. The first image is by Carl Bloch, a 19th century Danish painter, the second is by Liz Lemon Swindle, a contemporary LDS artist, the third is by James Christensen, a contemporary LDS artist, and lastly we have “The Holy Trinity” by Masaccio, an Early Italian Renaissance painter.

In the Bloch and Swindle, you see the angel cradling the Savior and holding Him up.  While these images are beautiful, almost tragically beautiful, I do not think they really fully illustrate Luke 22:43.  The Bible used the word “strengthening” not “comforting” so with that word choice in mind, I think James Christensen’s “Gethsemane” is extremely effective and powerful.

Putting it in a more spiritual LDS context, I find this piece emotionally moving when you think of the Priesthood.  I think the angel was sent to strengthen the Savior by the power of the Holy Priesthood, which is the same power that created all things.  When you think of how awful His suffering must have been and how difficult it was for Him to be away from His Father’s spirit, He needed the strength and encouragement of a Priesthood holder.  I love how the angel stands behind Him, his head bowed with arms out-stretched to balance and support the suffering Savior.

As I was thinking about the significance of Christensen’s composition, I was hit by its similarity to Masaccio’s composition of “The Holy Trinity” but instead of Gethsemane, the scene is Golgotha (well, set inside an Early Renaissance church) and instead of an angel, it is God the Father who has his arms out-stretched behind the cross. 

I love the idea of our Heavenly Father as a Priesthood holder looking over all of His children with out-stretched arms to support and strengthen us- even if we can’t see Him.  He stands behind us, sending angels, messengers, visiting teachers, neighbors, friends, and sweet tender mercies exactly when we need them. Our Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ are actively engaged with what is going on in this world and in our lives- they love us and want us to return to be with them for eternity.  

I also like to think my own father is watching over me as my priesthood leader and sending me strength and blessings when I need them in my day-to-day life.

Isn’t the Gospel of Jesus Christ so awesome?!!! I cannot imagine the hopelessness others must feel without the knowledge of the infinite atonement of Jesus Christ, eternal families, and the blessings of temple covenants. 

So the next time I am going through a difficult trail- I am going to remember the Lord is ever present and the way I am feeling nothing in comparison to how our Savior felt in Gethsemane. With the knowledge of the Gospel, there is only room for joy!!

 

 

0 comments: