CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Saturday Seething (part 23 of a 444 part series)

The following is a conversation I over-heard between an 8-10 year old girl and her grandmother this evening.

 

Little Girl: Grandma, I have the best idea ever. How about I go over and pick out a fabric and you can make me a pillow- all we need is the stuffing and it would be a super fun craft. We could make it this size (pointing to pillow on my couch) except smaller and a different shape.

 

Grandmother: I don’t like sewing.  How about we spend time looking at the art?

 

LG: Come on Grandma! I have been SO bored all weekend… well except yesterday; yesterday was the best day of my life.

 

G: So you really have only been bored today.

 

LG: Yeah. So are you going to make me a pillow or not?

 

 

 

Um… Little Girl, I am guessing you are NOT getting a pillow made for you tonight.

 

 

I am not sure why but the way the little girl spoke to her grandmother really bugged me. She wasn’t being super bratty or disrespectful but her attitude just rubbed me the wrong way.  It is probably because I have been taught to revere (fear) authority figures but I would never dare demand my grandmother make me a pillow because I was bored and I wanted to pick out fabric. I felt bad enough asking her to hem my dress the night before prom.

 

I must admit I had to stifle my laughter when she said she was SOOOO BORED this weekend, and then promptly stated that yesterday was “the best day of [her] life”- totally cracked me up!!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That little girl is SOOO lucky I am not her grandmother because I would have looked at her and said, "Guess what? Your little behind is about to be real bored because I am NOT making you some stanky pillow. And how will YOU watching ME do a whole lot of work for your ungrateful behind alleviate your boredom?"

tabchoirfam said...

I was reading it at first with a different opinion - wondering why the grandma doesn't do some sort of craft with the granddaughter, even if it isn't sewing. But then I thought about it and I get frustrated with Evan for relying on me for all his fun. Why is it my responsibility? He has toys and sibling to play with. He blames me when he is bored too. Is it really all my responsibility? I am worried about spring break coming up. No school for a whole week!

alli said...

Ha ha K!!!!! Loved your response!!!
Andrea- you can survive! Hopefully the water will be nice and you can go on walks or play at mom's playground. You could even go to the aquarium or zoo or dinosaur museum.

alli said...

Not water- weather (some times auto correct is not a good thing! Lol)