CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Seething (part 35 of a 444 part series)

“The Holy War”

 

Today is the BYU v. Utah football game and I just need to vent about how much this “rivalry” disturbs me.

I know that sport rivalries are all in good fun but it seems to escalate more and more each year. There is nothing wrong with school spirit and fandom, but I have a huge problem when it becomes hateful and violent.

People are teaching/brainwashing their kids into hating a whole group of people (the opposing team and their fans).  My sister shared a rather humorous video on Facebook of a 3 year old little girl hysterically crying because she hates BYU so much. Where did she learn that behavior? Why is it OK to hate someone for liking BYU? The scary thing is that it is not too far a leap to start hating someone just because of their religion or skin color or politics.

Our contemporary culture (as evident in our current political climate) is increasingly becoming more and more extreme. There will be no real change until there can be compromise for the greater good.  With kids being bullied on the playground and online, with dems and repubs in congress hardly able to be in the same room as each other let alone work together, with all the trolls on message boards spouting hate speech, how are we ever to live in a Zion-like community?

I attended BYU for 6 years, the first of my siblings to graduate from that wonderful institution, but that doesn’t mean I hate U of U- my siblings went there and it is also a wonderful institution.  Both have great football programs and both represent our state very well.  Can’t we all just enjoy a game of football and realize that no matter who wins, it’s a great day for the state of Utah?

 

Oh well, Utah is now in the Pac 10 so I really don’t think we can consider BYU and U of U rivals any more.  The “holy” war is soon to be over.

 

 

 

1 comments:

B&K said...

I couldn't agree more. I'm all about team rivalry and team spirit but so many people take it way to far. Right now on fb there are so many harsh almost cruel statuses up on both sides. Emma will be raised up a Cougar fan for sure but I also want her to learn so respect other teams and fans as well.