CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 14, 2010

Russian Realism

This just arrived today- I am so excited to finally have it ready for
display in the gallery!! It is Podlyaski's "Yellow Socks" from the
Springville Museum of Art. Well Yellow Socks is a shortened title
because the full title wouldn't fit on my labels.
I'm excited to bring something different to the gallery. I think it
fits well with our religious sensibilities and our secular side as
well. It is sweet and charming. I love that the scale is on her level,
keeping the scene a bit more intimate, almost sacred. It reminds me of
Mary Cassat's "Little Girl in a Blue Armchair" except Podlyaski's
little girl is more proper and reserved that Cassat's who sits
slouched with her skirt around her waist. I love the sketchy yet
distinct details in the wall paper and the patterns on her clothes. I
love the color choice of acidic yellow for her socks and the way it
gives the girl a realistic story- who doesn't know a girl with a
favorite something or other that she wears with everything no matter
what? Heck I still do with my shoes (which are yellow...
Coincedence?!! Maybe).
I have other Russian Realism works coming to join this precious girl
and hopefully this can be a continuous trend in helping people
purchase at art that isn't only religious- not that's bad don't get me
wrong- but since I'm in a Deseret Book, most of my display is
religious in nature. Hopefully I can help broden minds of the average
DB customer and help them see new possibilites.
What do you think of this piece? Isn't the frame lovely?! It's a
brushed gold so it looks like silver and gold- it's one of my
favorites plus it's super afforable. The entire piece, art and frame
is $190!! I kind of want to order one for myself :)

3 comments:

M said...

Oh, I love this painting! I remember seeing it (or a reproduction of it?) when I worked at the SMA. I love that you guys are carrying it. I sometimes would help in the bookstore at the SMA, back when I did my fellowship there. Have you guys worked out some agreement to carry their giclee prints, since other Russian Realism prints are arriving? (Perhaps you can't discuss that stuff on a blog...)

19th century Russian art seems to be very popular in Utah - there are a lot of collectors in the area. I think you'll have no problem finding buyers in your gallery.

alli said...

SMA has outsourced their publishing to FOV Editions in Provo and we carry FOV products. So we can only get the piece SMA is sending to FOV. You can check FOVs catalogue at www.foveditions.com
FOV is so great that now the Church is begining to outsource to them as well.
Then next peice I should be getting is "Just Graduated..." by Akhmed Abadullovich Kitaev but I haven't decided how to frame it yet.

alli said...

I'm so glad you still read my blog M!!