CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Saturday Seething (part 22 of a 444 part series)

I love reading art history blogs- I think I have about 5 or 6 on my google reader- but sometimes the posts are almost like a dissertation!!
My favorite art history blog is Alberti's Window which is written by my good friend Monica Bowen from graduate school. I love reading Alberti's Window because the posts are concise and only a few paragraphs in length which makes it a quick read. Monica's word choice is engaging and she has a great talent of getting right to the point (something that I struggle with as evident in this very post!). I'm not sure if it's the blog format or the fact that I'm reading them on my phone, but my attention span is rather short. I wonder if it's an Internet reflex or a side-effect of a Google mentality, but if I am not interested from the begining then I switch to something else. Maybe it's because I'm not as invested with a blog as I am with a book or scholarly magazine.
I also like The 3 Pipe Problem but I usually just skim through because it would most likely take me a good 10 minutes to read it all the way through. One day last week, I was skimming 3PP and it was kind of short compared to the usual posts so I scanned back up to the top and saw that my friend that writes Alberti's Window was a guest poster! What a pleasant surprise!! I loved Monica's take on a female Renaissance artist and the way her self-portraits were used as a vehicle to illustrate her status and wealth.
I love art history blogs; I like them to be short and sweet like a fun size candy bar. Sure, king size candy bars are desirable but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comments:

M said...

Aw, you're too kind! 3 Pipe Problem does have really long posts, even though they are really interesting.

I intentionally try to keep my posts short and concise for the reasons that you mentioned - I think many people only want little "snippets" of art history when reading blogs. :)