CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Grad Park No More: A Tragedy

On the file cabinets in our Art History Graduate Student Office are magnets. Megan collects them and when we were in Vegas in September, we just had to go to the magnet store at the Miracle Mile (formerly known as Desert Passage). We had a lot of fun; and both Meg and Ash bought a ton of really cute and funny magnets. I did not buy any as I had just spent all my money at Sephora.

Well, since I sit in the same desk everyday, I stare at the same magnet every day which say, "I'm very receptive to compliments today." There is another one on the fridge that says, "Meaningless tasks are just part of what I do." For some reason, those both resonate with me today. I feel that the majority of the work I do really doesn't get me anywhere and I am definitely not receptive to compliments today. I think I have a migraine and I slept on my arm weird and it can't really function today. I know that we all have those kind of days where we feel fat, ugly and useless and today is one of those for me.

Then to top off my bad day, I get to school to find that our Grad Park poster that has been hanging on our door since September has been stolen. Who would steal a poster that is a total inside joke?! At BYU?! In the art building?! I know that it was stolen and not removed by custodial as the tape was still left on the door and they would have put it inside our office and given us a warning. I talked with our secretary Jeana and she was just as concerned as I was (she is the sweetest woman alive) as she hasn't seen it either. I'm kind of heartbroken. It was kind of like our flag, our unifying identity as a graduate program, plus it was funny and we all loved to see it everyday as it brightened up our monotonous lives. I'm seriously considering talking to Campus Police as they are directly a floor below us. Maybe they can at least provide us with closure :)

A good thing about today is that ANTM is on tonight and I'm going over to my friends Lant and Kendra's house for a viewing party. We actually have one every Wednesday since we started watching Project Runway together. Lesley texted to remind me and that instantly brought on a smile. Thanks Lesley!

I have such great people in my life that truly bring me peace and joy. And it is all in the little things, like my sisters calling me up to vent about something or by brothers calling to say hi and share funny emails. Or my friends just emailing or texting me sweet notes saying they are thinking about me. By small and simple means...
Thank you for giving me perspective and doses of reality. There is life outside of graduate school and we are here to have joy.
I guess this post really isn't a tragedy, I'm just a little melancholy today.

6 comments:

Beach Girl said...

Hi Honey Buches of O's! (I hope that made you smile) I sorry about your poster. I guess it meant a lot to you. I got my hair cut and colored today, darker and shorter. Getting my hair done made me feel better. Sending you my love....by the way, it's Scott'' B-day and were going to dinner. Do you want to come?

tabchoirfam said...

Just remember that there would be no "sweet" without the "bitter". I've been reading Haley's blog on chocolate! I hope you find your poster. We all love you and wish you the best here!

Anonymous said...

Everyone does have their days, and you shouldn't feel bad about having one. The day to day gets difficult and it feels like we're going nowhere, it's hard to keep the eternal perspective in mind. (Which really when you're having a bad day you don't want to hear about the eternal perspective :)) Just rest assured that you're doing the right things in the right place. Can't wait to see you tonight!

art history alli said...

Thanks guys! All your your comments made me smile. I love my old nickname, the Thomas icon and the wonderful reminder that I actually have something to look forward to tonight! :)

Anonymous said...

Honey, I love you and you brightened up my day too. -Lesley

Beach Girl said...

Lesley, How is California?